A new online, certified training course is available on the Safe Transport of Division 6.2 Infectious Substances and Biological material.
This course is based on international regulations developed by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) and the International Air transport Association (IATA).
The course will cover the:
- international regulations and explain the responsibilities of the shipper, operator and receiver
- classification of dangerous goods by classes and divisions, including Division 6.2 and Class 9
- classification of infectious substances for shipment as Category A or B infectious substances
- classification of genetically modified organisms
- biological materials which are exempt from the regulations
- selection of proper packaging
This course is suitable for those whose work involves preparing biological materials for transport or who have managerial, supervisory or advisory responsibilities in this area.
This online course offers flexible learning with progression through the modules at your own pace with the time to complete the course estimated to be 5 hours. Following successful completion of the course a certificate will be issued which is valid for 2 years.
The IATA-accredited course is available free of charge. There is, however, a limit to the number of licenses per work area but additional licenses can be purchased separately.
PLEASE NOTE : THIS COURSE IS ONLY AVAILABLE TO UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH STAFF (AT PRESENT).
For further information, or to register your interest in this course, please contact the University of Edinburgh Biosafety Training and Development Assistant by using the form below.